Sunday, August 30, 2009

Only If It Works For You

Today I went to a Christening for one of my cousins (I'm the oldest of 19 grandkids :) my youngest cousin is one month old), and was talking with my younger cousin about how I'm working really hard to slim down and get healthier before the wedding. She and my Aunt are apparently members on an online diet site that offers tips, plans out menus etc. She offered to let me join on their account and work on the site, which I though was really sweet of her, but I politely declined the offer.

Why, do you ask? While the website would be extremely helpful to some people, I decided today that what works for some people might not for others. And I happen to be one of the others that it wouldn't really be a fit for. I can't have someone telling me what workout to do and what to eat on any given day. I need to be able to make those choices for myself, or else I won't succeed in this. Like, if I want spaghetti for dinner one night, I want to be able to cook myself some yummy whole wheat spaghetti with tomato sauce. I don't want to have pre-set meal list that tells me that on the night I want my pasta, I have to have salad. I just don't work like that.

So the point of this is, really, don't follow the fads if they don't fit you. Find a way to get healthy that works for you, not for someone else. If the e-diet thing isn't your thing, no worries. There's a thing out there for you, you just have to find it.

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree. Are you counting calories as part of your new healthy lifestyle? If so, I suggest using www.thedailyplate.com -- I love it cause I can choose what i want to eat, how much of it I want and it will tell me the number of calories for each portion. It really is an eye opener for what foods are high in calories and what aren't. Just tought I'd offer a suggestion. :0)

    ReplyDelete